Received this email on Monday, as i'm going through my feeds, I thought interesting, people might like this and it's a reminder of the dangers we all face. Some good questions to ask yourself ~ TLR
Is this the path you’re on?
Burnout wipes out a lot of businesses every year. I heard a clinician say that being in a high stress state all the time literally ages your body faster. Terrifying.
Here are the ingredients required to burnout, pretty much guaranteed.
(if you recognise the ingredients here, I’d recommend re-thinking the recipe you’re using to run your business, before you start to show symptoms… it is not pretty if you don't take stress seriously)
1. A large dollop of ‘hussle’: I just need to work HARDER. There’s a difference between knowing the value of hard work when needed and work for work's sake. The glamour of wanting to feel busy all the time doesn't last
2. A dash of ‘do-everything-myself-itis’: to get this ingredient, refuse to automate or outsource anything. This is an important part of the burnout recipe as you need all moving parts on your shoulders, and your shoulders alone
3. Start every processes from scratch every time: Refuse to standardise any of your repeated admin tasks. No templates. No systems. This way you duplicate as much work as humanly possible for yourself
4. Do everything possible to get more quantity of work than you can handle... regardless of the quality: the more hours you can work in a week, the more successful you are, right?
5. Learn nothing: no iterating, no reviews, no course correction. Just keep your head down and keep going wherever you’re currently headed
You’re ready for a full meltdown!
In all seriousness, please don’t do this. It’s incredibly bad for your health. Especially your heart.
Here’s a quick insight into how you could fix your course…
List out everything you’ve got going on in your business. I mean everything (it wont take as long as you may think).
As a thought experiment answer the following question:
If you had to work no more than 2 hours a day and still had to get 80% of the same output, what would you do?
It may involve outsourcing some tasks.
It may involve removing a lot of things from your to do list that aren’t actually impactful.
It may involve learning new technology to automate things.
The answers to this question can open the door to working less.
Working less means you have more mental resources.
You’re more likely to stay healthy, and far less likely to burnout.
Roger 'work smart not hard' Knecht
President, Universal Accounting Center https://universalaccountingschool.com/
It's a training school in Utah , some different rules in US vs Canada, however, prinicpals apply around the world and are transferable amongst industry, so if your in business or want to improve your employers business and your own life by bringing more value, there might be something here for you.
"We must learn to apply all that we know so that we can attract all that we want." ~ Jim Rohn