"We are pleased to announce the release of the 2022 Canadian Responsible Investment Trends Report! This year’s report confirms that RI’s recent momentum is giving way to demand for sophistication and more vigilant reporting, signaling a maturing industry.
With its updated methodology, the report affirms that RI is entrenched in Canada, with reported assets under management at $3 trillion, and 94% of respondents using ESG integration as an RI strategy. This marks the emergence of a reliable baseline for RI market share and demonstrates that ESG Integration is a fundamental tool in Canadian investors’ decision-making.
• The vast majority (94%) of respondents are using ESG Integration, with investors using more RI strategies than ever before.
• Respondents' top three reasons for considering ESG factors are: (1) to minimize risk over time, (2) to improve returns over time, and (3) to fulfill fiduciary duty.
• Survey respondents consider the top deterrent to growth in RI to be mistrust or concerns about greenwashing.
• The three most prominent RI strategies by AUM are: (1) ESG Integration, (2) Corporate engagement & shareholder action, and (3) Negative/exclusionary screening.
• Climate change is an overwhelming concern for responsible investors–-who also believe it is the greatest driver for growth over the next two years. "